We are excited to offer 4th year Externships in Emergency Medicine and are accepting applications (we accept VSAS). We accept applications from qualified MD and DO candidates from US medical schools. The Emergency Medicine Clerkship at North Florida Regional Medical Center will introduce the student to the initial assessment, evaluation, diagnosis, and treatment of typical chief complaints seen in an emergency department. The student will spend four weeks in a busy emergency department seeing both pediatric and adult patients suffering from medical, surgical, or traumatic disease. Students will be responsible for the assessment and management of their patients while working closely with other students, residents, and attending physicians as well as hospital staff. Students will observe and may participate in a variety of procedures. Regular attendance at weekly didactic and hands-on conferences, simulation sessions, EMS ride along sessions, and journal clubs is required. A case presentation will be required. A standardized test measuring medical student competency in emergency medicine will be administered at the conclusion of the clerkship. We write meaningful Emergency Medicine Standardized Letters of Evaluation (SLOEs) from our Educational Leadership Group. We are also able to offer early interviews and coaching for future interviews to rotating students.
Course Experience and Curriculum
Students learning experiences will be mostly at bedside with direct Attending interaction. Didactics will follow the resident curriculum on Wednesday mornings and provide ample opportunity for interaction with the residents. Student curriculum will follow the SAEM Clerkship Directors in Emergency Medicine Curriculum which can be referenced here: https://cdemcurriculum.com/m4. End of Rotation exam material will reflect this material.
Medical Student Externship Highlights
- Students will be attending and fully engaged in the didactic/simulation/FOAMEd schedule alongside the residents
- EMS experience includes: a suburban EMS ride-along, a rural ride-along, and opportunities for a flight day with Air Methods if desired
- Students get to experience an Ultrasound shift with our Ultrasound Director
- Students have specialized Simulation Training with our Simulation Director
- Rotators interested in matching in EM have unique opportunities for mentorship for navigating the match and an early interview during the rotation. An early interview will decrease travel and expense at later times and provide important feedback to make you successful in your future interviews